Saturday, April 28, 2012

Aussie Star to Play Princess Grace

This is not exactly "new" news but something I've been meaning to mention since I first saw it. Australian actress Nicole Kidman is, it seems, set play HSH Princess Grace of Monaco in a new film set to be coming out soon. The movie will focus on the period of tension between France and Monaco. I have no idea who will play Prince Rainier nor could I imagine who might fit the part. I just can't think of an actor who even remotely looks like him. But, anyway, we have Nicole Kidman as Princess Grace. I will admit, at first, it was a little hard for me to get my mind around. Probably because the movies with Nicole Kidman that stand out in my mind are ones in which she was playing characters about as far removed from someone like Princess Grace as the east is from the west. However, after some time has passed, I think I've gotten used to the idea. She has also been described as "statuesque" as Princess Grace often is as well and, frankly, there are plenty of worse choices they could have made. Who picked Colin Firth to play King George VI? He did a great job, don't get me wrong, he's a top notch actor but he doesn't even remotely resemble the man. And let me just go on record as saying, if anyone ever makes a movie about King Edward VII, I have two words for you: Brian Blessed. Period.


Anyway, the problem with anyone playing a part like Princess Grace is that no one else could ever measure up. She always seemed so flawless it's hard to imagine anyone else even pretending to be her. It's hard to imagine anyone who's been married to Tom Cruise or an alcoholic metrosexual country singer playing Princess Grace. But, again, I'm getting used to the idea. I'm trying not to think about "Eyes Wide Shut" or "Moulin Rouge" and just look forward. If this becomes a trend, we already have recommendations for other parts. Marley Shelton could play Princess Charlene, Belgian politician Joëlle Milquet has been mentioned as a good double for Princess Caroline, and I would agree she looks alot like her but who knows if she can act? Prince Albert could play himself, he has at least some acting experience. Princess Stephanie? Nobody -it cannot be done! Do the readers have any opinion on this? What do you think? Was Nicole Kidman a good choice? If not, who would be your pick to play our iconic Princess Grace? Hit the comment box and let us all know.

5 comments:

  1. I think Charlize Theron would have been a good pick,either for Princess Grace or Princess Charlene!

    http://duchesscatherinestyleblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Soph. When I heard this news it was namely Theron I thought about, not Kidman. To my mind it's not very suitable candidature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting Choice, not the one I would have made.

    But Nicole Kidman's Beauty can be amped up to match Princess Grace's, so its a give and take.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Theron as a candidate. She is also a better actress than Kidman imo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Princess Grace was in a league all her own.

    With that said, my choice would have been Rosamund Pike. She's not as well-known as some of the other big names that have been thrown around, yet she's a good actress. She's poised and gorgeous and she has a charming smile reminiscent of Grace's. She's the right age and height and she can speak French.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...